[time-nuts] Re: Power and heat re: Heathkit WWV clock / where are the good oscillators?

Joe Duarte songofapollo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 01:53:58 UTC 2022

Thanks all. That Dallas Semiconductor model looks a lot better than I've
been seeing. The DS RTC on the Beagle or Canaduino boards I've seen off
some of your websites were using a lower DS model number, maybe 3107 or
some such. The Microcrystal models look good too – I just learned about
that company last week, even went to their site, but must not have
processed the specs. Maybe I looked at lesser part numbers.

Around the same year that Heathkit designed and launched the GC-1000, I
discovered that the British magazine *Radio & Electronics World* published
a guide to build your own MSF-synced clock (MSF is 60 KHz like WWVB). Their
design seems much cleaner than the Heathkit monstrosity – it might be
because they use a Zilog Z80 instead of microcontrollers. In 1982 they
released the first design guide, and in April 1983 they updated it as the
"Rewbichron 2". See here:
https://worldradiohistory.com/Radio_and_Electronics-World.htm

The antennas alone make WWVB seem like a better choice than WWV – little
ferrites vs. a giant loop.

I wish I understood the disciplining better. I still don't grok PLLs. I
don't understand what exactly the Heathkit does to its oscillator, and how
long the benefits last without a sync. The descriptions of GPSDO make it
sound like it's not real disciplining, just software correction. If
disciplining is just software then I assume I can find code. I wonder if
the high accuracy watch movements all use aged crystals.

Cheers,

Joe