[time-nuts] Re: Power and heat re: Heathkit WWV clock / where are the good oscillators?

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Mon Aug 8 08:17:34 UTC 2022

> I've seen numerous reports of the flawed power supply and regulator, and the
> intense heat it generates in the chassis, and I'm stumped. Why does it need
> so much power that it's getting hot?

Wikipedia doesn't have a page on the Heathkit GC-1000, but it is mentioned on
their Radio clock page and says 1983.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_clock
and that has a link to:
  https://www.pestingers.net/pages-images/heathkit/radio-equipment/gc1000/gc100
0.htm
which has a set of pictures, one shows "13w max"

10 watts in a plastic box.  I'm not surprised it gets hot.

Why does it need so much power?  You are comparing 40 year old technology with
with your expectations calibrated on modern technology.

A couple of differences:
  CMOS technology
  LCD vs LED
  WWVB vs WWV
  Switching power supplies

It would be fun to see a plot of the power needed to run a watch over the
years.

Initial GPS receivers were $250K.  They came out about the same time.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.