[time-nuts] Re: Power and heat re: Heathkit WWV clock / where are the good oscillators?

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Aug 8 16:39:39 UTC 2022

On Sonntag, 7. August 2022 23:21:46 CEST Brooke Clarke wrote:
> The DS3231 is specified at 2ppm/year out of the box.  But it can be tweaked
> to much better performance.

That's roughly a minute per year off or about 1 second per week (both rounded
down).  I have one DS3231M (the one with an actual quartz) that I tuned up and
then unplugged about a year ago (or maybe a bit longer already), I should
probably have a look how far it went off.  Anyway the new (pretty much the
only ones available right now) DS3231SN come with a MEMS oscillator instead
and are very different beasts as they need much more aggressive intervention
to compensate the larger temperature dependency.  I implemented a software PLL
that keeps it within ~50µs of system time (set from GPS / PPS) while connected
to the computer and it takes about ±6 LSB of the aging register to keep it
there since the PLL also fights against the temperature compensation algo on
the chip that obviously runs on different time scales (note: the DS3231M looks
at the aging register once every 64 seconds, the DS3231SN every second).  The
upshot is that while the RTC easily meets spec, it can run past the ±2ppm
boundary in the short term when presented with large and fast temperature
changes and only produces nominal performance if nearly correctly compensated
for the mean temperature over the longer time span.  I would think that this
is not easy to ascertain for many applications, so beware.

Regards,
Achim.