[time-nuts] Re: dial-up time source for NTP

Jürgen Appel jap at dfm.dk
Wed Aug 10 13:06:02 UTC 2022

Dear Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement,

On Tuesday, 9 August 2022 21:52:45 CEST Avro125 via time-nuts wrote:

> I’m wondering if someone would be willing to assist me in getting NTP to
> reference time from NIST (Colorado) or NRC (Ottawa) via a dial-up modem.
> Either as a primary source, or as a failover in case the GNSS signal is
> lost.

Sorry, I don't have experience with NTP and dialup-connections, but depending
on how trustworthy your mobile phone provider is and what your requirements
are, getting the timestamp directly from the GSM network (NITZ) might be an
alternative  option, even without incurring data charges.

(see e.g. https://coders-home.de/en/sync-time-on-linux-via-gsm-1065.html)

Cheers,
	Jürgen

--