[time-nuts] Re: Custom Quartz crystals

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 14 18:47:06 UTC 2022

Hi

If this is a more or less “from scratch” build:

1) You can get perfectly good 3rd overtone crystals at 60 MHz.
They will be easier to work with than a 5th. You will get more pull
range and the phase noise will be as good / better.

2) As Rick mentions, you want a series resonant ( no load cap )
crystal for this sort of thing. The same “tune range” stuff gets into
this part of it as well.

3) If you are really headed to 10’s of GHz, you might want to think
through the entire chain. In some cases a 120 MHz crystal is a
better bet than 60. Your far removed phase noise can / will be better
with 2X ( or 3X or maybe even 4X) the “starting” frequency.

4) I would not want to do this sort of thing without a pretty good
PCB layout being part of it. There are just to many ways for VHF
oscillators to get a bit nutty ….

5) Typically aging is not a “big deal” in a multiplier chain sort of setup.
Everything gets phase locked all the time. You simply need enough
tune range to keep it running that way. I would not spend a lot of
time “worrying” about aging.

6) Oddly enough crystals do impact phase noise at a 100Hz offset
at 120 MHz. For a tidy sum, Croven can sell you some pretty good
crystals. Not clear if 100 Hz matters or not though ….

7) At the typical ADEV sort of measurement Tau’s everything should
be dependent on your PLL design rather than the OCVCXO’s. Yes,
there can be crazy problems. If the phase noise is “good” then
ADEV should be into the PLL arena.

No this isn’t easy to guess at. There are way to many variables in
terms of what one might want to do.

Of course, there’s also the “off the shelf” alternative of just going
with one of the many low noise VCXO’s out there:

https://www.crystek.com/crystal/spec-sheets/vcxo/CVSS-945.pdf <https://www.crystek.com/crystal/spec-sheets/vcxo/CVSS-945.pdf>

The unfortunate truth is that Digikey will sell you a 60 MHz example
for ~$20 ( if they had them in stock ….. ). Getting a “build to spec”
crystal for that price, not so much.

Bob