[time-nuts] Re: Custom Quartz crystals

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 14 20:08:42 UTC 2022

Hi

Crystals (of any sort) have whatever turnover the manufacturer decided
they wanted them to have. There is no “standard” target for any crystal
cut. It needs to be specified when the crystal is ordered.  That is true
of heated crystals as well as ones that go into un-heated applications.
Unless you have a spec, there is no way to “guess” what this or that
random crystal will have as a turn point.

Q at a specific frequency is a function of resistance and motional capacitance.
Pull ability is a a function of motional capacitance, but not resistance. You
can have a crystal with high Q and reasonable pull ability. It *will* have a
low resistance.

Indeed C0 also gets into the pull ability stuff to a degree. To what degree
depends more than a bit on the circuit used. You can ( and folks very much
do ) “resonate out” the C0 to get rid of the effect. The impact of C0 is
what makes the pull ability appear to change with finish point.

Bob