[time-nuts] Re: RCB-F9T Adapter PCB with USB and 50 Ohm Timepulse SMA Connectors

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Tue Aug 23 19:05:41 UTC 2022

Hi Bob, Uwe,

thanks for the extensive summary and the ITU G.703 reference!

As an RF engineer by profession, I'm compelled to not (knowingly)
mistreat transmission lines :D

3.3V LVCMOS output level is determined by the ZED-F9T, so the
straightforward solution was to add a hand-solderable buffer opamp (TI
BUF602) that can drive +17 dBm into a 50 Ohm load. +17 dBm is already
quite a strong signal for most 50 Ohm RF measurement gear, so another
reason for being able to drive 50 Ohm loads is the option to use
standard 50 Ohm attenuators. Alternatively, the buffer amp enables 50
Ohm source termination to reliably drive 3.3V into high-impedance loads.
A good coincidence that the resulting output levels are ITU G.703
compliant :)

Best regards,
Carsten