[time-nuts] Re: RCB-F9T Adapter PCB with USB and 50 Ohm Timepulse SMA Connectors

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Aug 24 08:26:43 UTC 2022

I don't see any explicit jitter specs on the BUF602 datasheet either.
Have you measured it?
How consistent is it from part to part?
The jitter of most CMOS families has been measured.
For example 74HC buffers typically have ~4ps jitter at room temperature.
Even this is much lower than the jitter of typical FPGAs when the effect of cross coupling from other clock domains such as internal oscillators etc are taken into account.
Faster logic families such as 74AC buffers (~ 1ps) have even lower jitter.
CMOS devices have a typical propagation delay tempco of around 0.4% of the delay per/C. FPGA gates have similar delay tempcos.
Neither the delay tempco nor the jitter is typically specified on CMOS device datasheets nor are they on the BUF602 datasheet so you have to measure them or leverage the results obtained by others.

Bruce