[time-nuts] Re: RCB-F9T Adapter PCB with USB and 50 Ohm Timepulse SMA Connectors

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Wed Aug 24 17:05:27 UTC 2022

On 24.08.22 16:39, Lux, Jim via time-nuts wrote:
> This is true, as far as I know, of anything where you're pushing the
> limits of performance.  Buy them, measure them, and use them if
> acceptable.  And don't trust that buying the same part will still work
> in the future.
>
> Whether it's low jitter, low noise, prop delay, or whatever.

Hi Jim,

IMHO, that's another reason to use opamp as buffers. At least with them
I'll be relying on characteristics, namely input voltage noise, that are
specified by the datasheet.

> This is incredibly frustrating when you're trying to duplicate a
> published state of the art design (even if "state of the art" was
> 1999) and you have limited time (so you can't just buy a dozen
> different parts and try them all)

I also don't want to resort to trying out various different parts,
hoping/praying for excellent performance values not covered by the
specification, but instead start with an IC that is promising as per
what its datasheet actually specifies.

Best regards,
Carsten