[time-nuts] Re: HP 10811A unusual appearance

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Aug 24 21:06:19 UTC 2022

Hi Adrian, Rick, Bob,

The "flex" board is a thin ribbon-like PCB. It's shown in the manual [1]
and described in the HPJ article [2], pages 26-28.

Jack Kusters (1937-2012) -- of SC-cut, 10811, 5071A, and GPSDO
SmartClock fame -- once told me the flex board seemed clever at first
but was prone to fail when used in instruments on [military] aircraft
due to prolonged exposure to vibration. Or something like that. I'm not
sure if that anecdote is related to the question here. I too would like
to see a tear-down of the two oscillators mentioned.

/tvb

[1] 10811A/B Oscillator Operating & Service Manual:

http://hparchive.com/Manuals/HP-10811AB-Manual.pdf
http://leapsecond.com/museum/10811a/10811a.pdf

[2] Hewlett Packard Journal, March 1981:

https://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1981-03.pdf
https://archive.org/details/Hewlett-Packard_Journal_Vol._32_No._3_1981-03_Hewlett-Packard