[time-nuts] Re: HP 10811A unusual appearance

Keelan Lightfoot keelanlightfoot at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 21:25:32 UTC 2022

There's also a hybrid approach, where flex material is used as the inner
layers of a multi-layer PCB, with what is an undoubtedly complicated
multi-step manufacturing process to ensure that the individual rigid PCB
elements can ultimately be routed free of the rigid layer, while the flex
layer remains intact.

I have one example that has seven interconnected rigid elements, and to me
it seems to be a solution in search of a problem. I can't see how the
ridiculous cost of manufacturing such an assembly would offset the cost of
using "traditional" flex and flex connectors.

If the flex portion gets damaged, the entire assembly is junk. In my case,
someone opened the housing containing the rigid/flex monstrosity with a
sharp tool, slicing one of the flex layers, severing over 30 traces that
spanned between two PCBs.

- Keelan