[time-nuts] Re: James Miller/Brooks Shera 10 MHz GPSDO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Aug 31 17:41:53 UTC 2022

Hi

The specific version of the 10811 involved has a very wide tune range
on the EFC. When they blocked access to the mechanical trim, they
boosted the EFC range. The circuit is basically still the same, they just
changed some values to take it up above +/- 1 ppm ( on most examples).

Since this is a locked circuit ( a GPSDO ), long term drift and even medium
term issues likely get taken out by the lock process. Just how quick things
go from “this matters” to “taken care of by lock” depends a lot on exactly
which of the many versions of this GPSDO is involved.

On many GPSDO’s the lock bandwidth is in the “couple hundred seconds”
range. Go to ~5X that and all you should see is the GPS. Go to  ~1/5 of that
and the oscillator is all that is involved.

As has been noted a lot of times here, the correct lock point is determined
by the noise of the OCXO and just how good a PPS you get out of your specific
GPS module. Things like sawtooth correction can make a difference. So
can the “era” the module came from. Since neither the OCXO or module
have a “single number” sort of noise process, it’s very much a measure and
see sort of thing.  Simply put, there are a number of versions for a very good
reason ….

Bob