[time-nuts] hydrogen rich environment and oscillators

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Thu Dec 8 21:29:02 UTC 2022

    OK, here's an interesting one for you all:

Does anyone have any information on what happens to hermetic TCXOs when
they're in a hydrogen rich atmosphere? There's stories about MRI machine
He rich environments killing Apple watches - I think, though, that was a
MEMS oscillator. The data shows a reduction in Q because the resonator's
not in a vacuum.  And I'm aware of pressure sensors failing because they
rely on a vacuum for comparison. But I wouldn't necessarily think this
is the case with a quartz crystal.  Or is it?  H2 is somewhat more
reactive than He, too.