[time-nuts] Re: hydrogen rich environment and oscillators

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Tue Dec 13 21:35:59 UTC 2022

On 12/13/22 1:24 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> Lux, Jim via time-nuts writes:
>
>> Is there a cheap connector/feedthrough that can take 100 psi or so to be
>> able to make measurements "in-situ"?
> Use a window and optical transmission ?

It's hard to get power in with optical transmission.

Say you have your favorite 10811 based GPSDO and you want to see how
it's going to work in your diving bell loaded with heliox (with a coax
cable to a floating buoy with the GNSS choke ring antenna) - but not
really...

This is sort of different from the whole He, H2 question - but it raised
the interesting question of operating devices at pressures other than
room temp.  We've talked a lot on the list about schemes of varying
complexity to thermally isolate an oscillator - well, putting it in even
a partial vacuum might  be effective, one really wants to get the MFP to
"bigger" than the gap between device and wall, so convection stops being
an issue: then it's just radiation, but even if you pump down to, say,
1/100th bar, the bulk thermal conductivity will be (I think) 1/100th of
what it is in "room air".