[time-nuts] Re: Mains frequency in Europe last night

dschuecker Detlef.Schuecker at dschuecker.de
Wed Dec 14 10:54:44 UTC 2022

Hi,

it is probably a data collection issue imho.

I downloaded the data from gridwatch and compared the frequency with my
own collection. Be aware that the UK frequency is not the same as the
ENTSO-E frequency. My data is from ENTSO-E.

See enclosed graphics. Upper part is the demand in the UK, Mo 8pm to Tue
8am in blue, Tue 8pm to Wed 8am in orange. You see the high demand
changes in the relevant time interval.

This is albeit not reflected in the frequency in the UK, see lower part.

But: The frequency changes in the UK  in the first half of the night
Tue-Wed are a lot higher (std 0.0851 Hz)  than in the second half  ( std
0.0633 ) or in the entire night Mo-Tue (0.0601 Hz). Maybe this is an
indication that they where fighting  something last night that they did
not fight the night before and this resulted in the demand peaks. Maybe
there was a production peak due to a North-Sea storm.  They had to get
rid of the power and started all their pumped storage power stations,
which led to the peak. But this is only my guess. I have no idea about
the number of UK pumped storage power stations or how to get North-Sea
wind data.

Another interesting detail: During nighttime the ENTSO-E frequency seems
to follow a plan. The frequency is similar during the two nights.  That
is not true for the UK freq. .

Cheers

Detlef