[time-nuts] Re: Crazy Clock

Greg Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 06:32:29 UTC 2022

I have a GPS 'synced' analog clock.  I'm using an old synchronous
motor clock and driving it with 90vac generated by an old synthesizer
clocked off my house 10MHz feeding a bipolar amplifier.  I think this
is essentially the same setup as TVB mentions at
http://leapsecond.com/pages/atomic-nixie/

Here's the clock in my home office:

https://nt4tn.net/clock/clock.jpg

Here is the equipment on the other side of the wall supporting it.

https://nt4tn.net/clock/equipment.jpg

Of course, it only sets the frequency frequency not time... but you
can just set the time of the clock via mk1 eyeball to whatever
precision you like and once its set it keeps time.

I've also had fun running the clock on mars time when the rovers were
the current thing and (more often) sidereal time for astronomy.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this approach in that it draws a lot of
power and ties up otherwise more flexible equipment (and noisy).  I
put it into place expecting to replace it with some dedicated 'fake
mains'  (like... running a wall wart transformer in reverse from a
dedicated little synthesizer and an audio amplifier) but have never
gotten around to it.  The power usage is an actual issue too since it
gets in the way of providing long lasting backup power.

One great thing about using synchronous motor clocks and a fake mains
is that you could easily support a bunch of clock this way and there
are many interesting synchronous motor clocks that exist.