[time-nuts] Re: Crazy Clock

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 15:15:18 UTC 2022

Hello to the group.
Interesting subject. There is another approach to this and I and Rodger are
working it.
Thats to reuse broadcast television clocks like Evertz. They make wall
clocks, rackmount versions all driven by LTC timecode. These can be had on
ebay at times for reasonable cost.
How to drive these. The normal way is a gps locked broadcast generator.
However in progress and working is an Arduino gps locked LTC generator.
Uses a cheap ublox GPS receiver and arduino and literally 2-3 cmos chips
74HC series.
OK that nasty soldering iron.
But it is working well. Still reworking some of the code.
Though I have the magical broadcast generator it consumes 30 watts and
given the power cost in New England now the arduino solution is .5 watts
all in.
I will share with timenuts all of the details when ready.
Not expecting this to take long but ordered a LEA-6T from China should be
here any week/day now. Its better than the NEO-6. The LEA has an advantage
it can generate a very good 2 KHz. Eliminating a stable 2 KHz osc in the
solution today.
This uses some code from the open LTC generator. That arduino code has some
very serious issues that are eliminated by the few chips added to build a
proper LTC encoder.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL