[time-nuts] Re: Returnee, interested in Lars GPSDO

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Dec 22 18:18:26 UTC 2022

Hi

In a GPSDO, you are comparing 1 pps signals. The typical PLL chips really aren’t made for doing
this sort of thing. There are several very simple ways to do an adequate job of measuring the time
difference between the two PPS signals.

One of the reasons for wanting to read the time difference directly is to incorporate the sawtooth
correction output from your GPS module. The other big reason is the difficulty of coming up with
R/C filters that get you out to the hundreds of seconds range ….

Bob