[time-nuts] Re: Efratom FRK with "inoperative lamp"

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Feb 1 14:00:09 UTC 2022

Hi

Quick couple hints on basic Rb operation:

1) The cells / lamps need to be at the proper temperatures. Oddly enough
they don’t all work when at the same temperature. There often are two oven
controllers in there to accomplish this.

2) The synthesized “interrogation signal” needs to be pretty darn close before
it tries to lock. An local oscillator that has drifted a few tenths of a ppm in the
wrong direction may be all it takes to stop things.

3) What you normally look at out of the photo diode is an audio tone. It’s the
recovered modulation on the interrogation signal. Pretty much everything needs
to be close in order to get that tone.

4) There is an RF exciter circuit that “lights up the bulb”. If it has stopped working,
you get no nice purple glow and everything comes to a halt.

Yes there is a lot more to it than that. I’m just trying to point out a few areas that
probably need to be checked before you start a deep dive into this or that.

Bob