[time-nuts] Re: Efratom FRK with "inoperative lamp"

Julien Goodwin time-nuts at studio442.com.au
Fri Feb 4 10:12:39 UTC 2022

On 4/2/22 5:15 pm, Julien Goodwin wrote:
> Well that was unexpectedly easy (to diagnose).
>
> Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated, you have once again
> confirmed my appreciation for this group.
>
> I sat down this evening to work through your various suggestions, and,
> by chance, picked up the unit without my lab power supply (and more
> importantly, its noisy fans) being on, where I heard a little rattle I
> must have missed before.
>
> Removed the bottom panel, which I hadn't done yet, and out dropped the
> remnants of a Vishay RW80U 20-ohm resistor. Based on the circuit this
> pretty much has to be R2 on the lamp board (following the December 73
> circuit I have, which has that at 10 ohms), which is directly in-circuit
> for the lamp, so would explain exactly what I've seen.

Or, following the FRK-L schematic[1] it is indeed a 20 ohm 2W wirewound
(R14). All the other unused holes on the PCB lack obvious signs of
component legs, so that might be it.

I shall see what I can scrounge up at the local electronics shop
tomorrow[2] to see if I can bodge enough to test, hopefully without
needing to remove the board. Glad I had new tips for my tiny precision
iron show up today, might just be possible.

1: The FRK-L seems closer in some way than the original, although in
others the original is. This is labelled an FRK-H "made in West Germany"
which certainly dates it.

2: Tens of thousands of surface mount resistors here, but almost no
through hole.