[time-nuts] Re: Timestamping counter techniques : dead zone quantification

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Feb 4 13:48:29 UTC 2022

Hi

Pretty much *any* counter can measure 1x10^-9 if you leave the gate
open long enough. Gate time matters. One can *assume* a 1 second
gate time, but that’s not always the case. ADEV suffers from this same
“unstated time” issue.

In “HP” terms 1x10^-9 at 1 second is roughly a 5335 from back in the
1970’s. The 5345 / 5360 go back even further, but are not as common
on eBay ( at least not in the sub $100 price range ).

Like it or not, to be “accurate” to 1x10^-9 at 1 second for a range of
input types and waveforms, you need a 1 ns resolution timebase in
the beast. Without that, there will be a whole range of signals that
do this or do that when the counter sees them.

For certain signals under certain conditions, it is possible to get a bit
of an improvement by doing this or doing that. The more sampling
and math you use, the more limited the usable signal set becomes.
The gotcha is the customer(s) who have those signals will be going
a bit nuts when the math isn’t doing its thing. Once they start posting
“do this and see how it fails” …. yikes …..

If you look at the current Keysight specs, they are pretty careful about
what they do and don’t claim for their math. They also publish a lot of
paperwork explaining how this or that breaks down. There’s a lot of
engineering man hours there …. Even with all that, a lot of folks still
take the “try it and see” approach, even on their newest and greatest.

Yes, you also need a time base that is quite good to get accuracy. In
the era of GPS, that’s not as hard as it once was. Even there, you do
need a GSDO setup to do the job. The most likely candidate would
be OCXO based. In this era of $5 OCXO’s from China, that may not
be a big deal.

Bob