[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

ed breya eb at telight.com
Wed Feb 9 04:16:32 UTC 2022

Sorry I haven't been proactive on this. My main PC crapped out last week
in a big way. I've been doing almost a total rebuild on it. Just got
internet and email working this morning, followed by printer problems.

Regarding the Z3801A date/rollover issue, it looks like there's no easy
fix, so I can let it go. As long as it makes the 10 MHz and 1 PPS
properly, and I can check what it's doing occasionally with SatStat, I
think I'm good to go. I can figure out the date and time in other ways
too - sometimes, just knowing AM or PM is good enough.

Now, what about that EFC? Does its behavior that I reported earlier seem
like it's OK, considering the setup and reception?

I did try a survey, as suggested, and it indeed came up with slightly
different nav coordinates, and also took a whole day to do it -
satellite view is so poor with my temporary setup, it mostly saw only
two or three, and sometimes jumped all the way to four or five.

I hope this email gets through OK. More later.

Ed