[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Feb 9 13:27:32 UTC 2022

Hi

> On Feb 8, 2022, at 11:16 PM, ed breya <eb at telight.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry I haven't been proactive on this. My main PC crapped out last week in a big way. I've been doing almost a total rebuild on it. Just got internet and email working this morning, followed by printer problems.
>
> Regarding the Z3801A date/rollover issue, it looks like there's no easy fix, so I can let it go. As long as it makes the 10 MHz and 1 PPS properly, and I can check what it's doing occasionally with SatStat, I think I'm good to go. I can figure out the date and time in other ways too - sometimes, just knowing AM or PM is good enough.

As mentioned in an earlier post LH can fix the date for you. She can also do plots
of just about anything you can think of. This can be very helpful for troubleshooting.

> Now, what about that EFC? Does its behavior that I reported earlier seem like it's OK, considering the setup and reception?

EFC does not mean a lot on these devices unless you hit a limit or something like that.

> I did try a survey, as suggested, and it indeed came up with slightly different nav coordinates, and also took a whole day to do it - satellite view is so poor with my temporary setup, it mostly saw only two or three, and sometimes jumped all the way to four or five.

These old receivers need all the help they can get in terms of antenna location.
You very much do want a clear sky view and a full set (6 to 8) of sats in view
and usable. Going below 4 sats “locked on” is not a good thing.

Bob