[time-nuts] Re: Phase Station 53100A Questions

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 23:25:05 UTC 2022

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 03:30:36 -0500, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
wrote:
time-nuts Digest, Vol 214, Issue 12

> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:28:20 -0500
> From: Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org>
> Subject: [time-nuts] Re: Phase Station 53100A Questions
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
>
> Hi

[snip]

>> [JMG] Most of my coworkers will struggle to use a 53100A correctly or at
>> all without such documentation.
>
> Both the 5330 and 53100 have a very “shallow” learning curve. We had
> a fleet of the 5330’s at work. I don’t think anybody really had trouble
> getting them to do what they wanted them to do. The 53100 I have
> here is very similar in that respect.

Well, that's encouraging, but may not be portable.

Group 1:  The integration and test folk just want to know which
button to push, and are too hurried to learn a new discipline.

Group 2:  A smaller number know how to operate a phase noise test
set, but don't really understand, and so can make some amusing
blunders.  May not realize that thermal noise (additive) and phase
noise (multiplicative) are not the same, and do not behave the same.

Group 3:  A few already understand what's going on.

The target audience is Group 2.

I will include cite to the original papers on measurement of phase
noise by cross-correlation methods.

Joe Gwinn