[time-nuts] Re: 10 MHz TCXO periodically jumping 20 mHz up and down

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri Feb 18 10:56:02 UTC 2022

Hi Erik,

I think you have yourself a digital TCXO controller. Those use a
tempsensor, use the reading to calculate the compensation and the use a
normal varactor control to steer the frequency. Older TCXOs use a
resistor/thermistor network to do the same work. You can probably read
up on the vendors material to see that the keywords are there to support
the suspicion.

So, what you see is really the resolution limit of reading/control. As
long as it's within spec, and the transitions does not upset your system
downstreams, I guess it's just fine. If you have issues with the steps,
then another product is what you look for.

Cheers,
Magnus