[time-nuts] Re: Current-day GPS timing receivers

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 19 13:07:30 UTC 2022

Hi

Building a kit is very different than a from scratch design. A
Heathkit (to extend the years ago ham radio analogy) radio
was an option when you shopped for your Drake. Building it
would give you some experience.

The Heathkit *design* was done for you and all the complicated
higher level stuff was worked out / tested out / reworked / retested
by somebody else. As long as you put it together correctly, it
worked and was a good radio.

These days there aren’t a lot of folks selling kit GPSDO’s. Even
the kit radio business isn’t what it once was. “I’m going to do
a GPSDO” these days generally means a scratch design.

Bob