[time-nuts] Re: NTP Accuracy

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Feb 21 18:09:00 UTC 2022

Hi

I suspect that somebody somewhere in the documentation
process got accuracy and resolution a bit crossed up.

Resolution would be pretty easy to observe.

In a broad sense, to be accurate to 1/2 ns, the time base in
the card would need to be pretty good. Even with a good
onboard reference, there still would be a “this accurate over
that time span” in a footnotes somewhere.

NTP floats off through various networking bits and pieces.
That would make direct measurement of sub ns sort of numbers
pretty much impossible via the normal protocol and interface.

A bit more digging into that spec sheet is needed.

Bob