[time-nuts] Re: Types of noise (was: Phase Station 53100A Questions)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Tue Feb 22 00:30:38 UTC 2022

Hi Joe,

On 2022-02-21 20:52, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
> time-nuts Digest, Vol 214, Issue 22
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 03:30:27 -0500, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
> wrote:
>
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 01:13:50 +0100
>> From: Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.se>
>> Subject: [time-nuts] Re: Types of noise (was: Phase Station 53100A
>> 	Questions)
>> To: time-nuts at lists.febo.com
>>
>> Hi,

>>> I thought as much.  Can you cite any articles on this?
>> Well, in the audio industry, wow and flutter measurements have been
>> taken a step further to use such a recording and then analyze the
>> side-band and use that to identify which wheel etc. I have not seen an
>> article about it, but I've been told about it being used in the late
>> 1980s to diagnose professional quarter inch tape machines.
> I had not heard of this approach, but it certainly makes sense.  No
> gear teeth in such systems, but an eccentric rubber wheel would leave
> a signature for sure. I would guess that a modulation time series
> would show the wobble quite clearly, allowing its period to be read
> directly.

The experience was very clearly that it gave very direct indication of
what needed to be fixed. The story was that they had some 50+ machines
to work through in a few weeks at the customer. The japanese engineer
brough with him some extra tools and they used these to diagnose, fix
and then verify all the machines, and it was very efficient approach.

The take-away is that it makes sense and it's essentially doing the
phase-measurement and spectrum as we do, and was able to detect small
variations, and being trained on them it pin-points the issue.

>> You will also find that similar have FFT spectrum analyzers been used
>> for quite some time for similar mechanical analysis to diagnose large
>> machinery and pin-point which cog-wheel or whatever is having an issue.
>> Often used with vibration sensors. I know that HP featured it in a few
>> of their catalogs etc.
> I have read many articles in IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement
> Society publications on diagnosing geared machinery for (impending)
> bearing and/or gear failure by looking for tones whose frequencies
> are in the same rational-number angular-speed ratios as the various
> parts of that gear train.
Which makes sense.

>> Regardless, it's fundamentally the same principle involved.
> Yes.

>>> TDR units may have some difficulties with an unstable contact under
>>> vibration.  When one has determined that there is a problem somewhere
>>> using the 53100A is when the TDR equipment comes out, if the root
>>> cause isn't obvious on inspection.
>> Impedance variations when they exists will be measureable, and smoothed
>> out by the TDR for sure, but location bump should be clear enough when
>> detectable.
>>> The signal levels are pretty low for PIM to be important.  And the
>>> connectors are generally gold plated.  A cracked copper conductor
>>> could in theory do PIM, but I have not seen this.  Even if it is
>>> happening, so long as the AM component jumps, it will serve to warn
>>> the experimenter.
>> I was suggesting it as an active diagnosis approach if your signals does
>> not provide suitable PIM products.

>>> Yes.

>>> Random telegraph keying is likely when a loose contact is driven with
>>> random vibration.  If the vibration is instead a sine wave, some kind
>>> of square-wave keying is more likely.  And so on.  Random telegraph
>>> keyed waveform seemed representative.
>> Rather than random noise, yet to he correlated noise is what you mean.
>> Not all of that is random in occurrence.
> Yes.  But if we are using only waveforms and spectra, random
> telegraph keying is a good summary.
Well, it may be a good enough approximation. I just want to avoid an
assumption turning into it's own "truth".

>>> Yes, but with a pre-scan before phase-noise tests are run.
>> The dynamics of modern phase-measurement kits is amazing, so yes.
>>
>> BTW When you do indeed have PIM, AM-to-PM and PM-to-AM conversion is not
>> unheard off.
> Oh, yes.  The traditional worst case is a powerful radar on a ship -
> every rusty joint (like hatch door hinges) chimes in. You get
> everything, and the carrier third harmonic to boot.  Typically, the
> field team finds culprits using a sniffer tuned to the radar's 3rd
> harmonic.  The field fix involves welding a flexible copper or steel
> wire jumper around every hinge, and so on.
An alternative approach there is to transmitt a suitable offset
frequency, and mix-products will occurr, as one essentially do the 2
frequency PIM test. and 2f1-f2 and 2f2-f1 frequencies will occurr among
others. It all depends on what is practical.

> You also see these welded copper wire jumpers in steel-frame
> buildings, to carry lightning-strike currents to ground, bypassing
> bolted structural joints.  In this case, the welds are generally made
> using copper thermite.
Well built, good signal integrity, EMC, EMI etc. fit well together in
basic approach with multiple benefits.

>>> Will do.  The prior version is well-thumbed now.

>>> We do usually have nearby accelerometers, but no direct way to
>>> correlate PN modulation waveform with vibration waveform.   It's
>>> something to think about though, as it could point directly at the
>>> culprit.
>> Indeed. You also get a time-difference for which the correlation occurs
>> in, which with a bit of triangulation could help in the pin-pointing. To
>> get a useful signal for that, just a lock-up to the signal could be
>> useful as the phase-detector output will for sure have that signal, and
>> conveying this over to a cross-correlation measurement should be fairly
>> straight-forward. Almost feel like going into the lab and set it up.
> Hmm.  In a time-series display, if one locks to one of the signals,
> perhaps the loudest or cleanest, all coherent and thus correlated
> signals will also stand still, thus revealing their common heritage.
> A wide window could be needed to see all patterns, unwrapped.  This
> has the advantage of not requiring prior knowledge of the underlying
> ratios, but allowing the ratios to be computed from the data.
> Comparison with the gear-train details, will likely yield exactly one
> solution, disentangling the data into cause and effect.
You can look up the NIST T&F archive for how to analyze it.

> The people diagnosing geared machinery do much the same, except that
> the data is plotted normalized to the drive shaft angle versus time.
>
> I'm sure that the folk developing low phase noise oscillators also
> have their bag of tricks.  Comparing notes may be useful.

Which is why I propose to really use the toolset of both genres to
combine them to meet the actual need of the application.

Cheers,
Magnus