[time-nuts] Re: 4096 PLL - how to switch off on-chip VCO

David G. McGaw david.g.mcgaw at dartmouth.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:40:12 UTC 2022

The part number has been garbled a bit, but the members of the family
are 74HC/HCT4046, 74HC/HCT7046 and 74HCT9046, the last one having a
significantly better phase detector.  The on-board oscillator should not
be a issue, but on the '4046 and '7046, pin 5 held low disables the
oscillator.  On the '9046, pin 5 shuts the whole chip down, but there is
a way to force the oscillator to a zero frequency.

73,

David N1HAC