[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

ed breya eb at telight.com
Thu Feb 24 19:31:48 UTC 2022

Last night I told it to do a survey, and let it slog through it
overnight. This morning it seemed to be working fine, and apparently in
position hold mode.

Then I shut it down for about 45 min to let things cool down to nearly a
fresh cold-start condition. On power up, it went through the usual power
routine, and almost immediately began tracking satellites after the
inner oven warmup, then within a few minutes, the GPS lock indicator
came on. Also, before tracking even started, the position coordinates
reported exactly the same as before power down. So, now this RX unit
appears to be behaving "properly," just like the other.

This RX unit was probably OK all along as it was, but I just didn't give
it enough of a chance to catch up with everything. The question is why
these two units, virtually identical, and neither having any long term
memory, and operated in the same setup and location, would act so
differently at first. There's no battery backup of the big SRAM, and I
don't see any NVRAM evident. There are two big Flash RAMs, but I believe
they only hold the firmware, so are not written to in normal operation.
Maybe they are?

I've been wondering where the actual, necessary data must be kept in
order to get things working quickly like this. Since after a power down
and up, the exact same location was recovered before any tracking was
possible, it has to be stored somewhere in the RX or the Z3801A. I
suppose the Z3801A could have some NVRAM - I haven't looked closely
enough yet to see, but I will next time it's opened up.

Now that this spare RX seems to be verified OK, my next experiment will
be to swap them again and see how the original works first time up, with
the Z3801A used to working with the spare. If it acts very slowly, then
I'd surmise that the Z3801A treats it differently, because its ID number
is different, and has to figure everything out again. If it still runs
easy and quickly, then I'd have to think the data is in the RX, or that
the Z3801A doesn't care, and it is the keeper of the data. If the latter
though, then it's a mystery again - the Z3801A should have told the
spare RX right away the location, quite accurately, and whatever else
was necessary, so it should have been able to get up and go quickly,
right from the first time.

Ed