[time-nuts] Re: Efratom FRK with "inoperative lamp"

Julien Goodwin time-nuts at studio442.com.au
Fri Feb 25 08:10:59 UTC 2022

This afternoon I swapped the fixed resistor that should have been a
trimpot back to a trimpot, and quickly dialed it up to where I was
getting ~115c on the lamp surface as expected.

As I was in there anyway I also swapped the 20 ohm resistor back to the
Vishay wirewound part it should have been from the hack I'd made up
using cheap carbon resistors from the local shop.

No obvious light, but I also still need to see if the excitation
oscillator is even vaguely in the ballpark (or possibly working, I may
potentially have messed with things while I was in there today), for
which I'm still waiting on some safer probe options.

On 15/2/22 6:10 pm, Darren Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, 2022-02-05 at 20:48 +1100, Julien Goodwin wrote:
>> I /think/ it's using more power than it did before (right around 20W
>> at
>> total cold, dipping to 10W after a while), although silly me didn't
>> make
>> a note of it, but even after 30 minutes it's not locking.
>
> I don't have any experience with this brand/model, but I have
> resurrected some "dead" rubidium standards. I'm mostly going from
> experience with gas lasers, but I found the same approach worked on the
> rubidium units that I have here.
>
> It's well worth being patient with the lamp, if it's been off for many
> years, it may have a gas pressure/mix that's far from optimal. If you
> let it sit with the heater and exciter running, it may just strike
> after a while.

I need to replace the main filter cap in the FRT power supply before
I'll be comfortable leaving it on for an extended duration, but once I
do (and the replacement is now here, I just need to hook it up) I'll be
fine leaving it on for a week or so to see.

If it doesn't light after that, I may try just swapping in the lamp from
my house standard FRK-LN to see if it's that simple, and this has a bad
lamp (at which point I think I'd give up for now).

> (You should measure the current going into the exciter, it should jump
> up suddenly when the lamp strikes. Measure the unlit condition with the
> lamp cold and the exciter on. On mine, the current roughly doubles when
> it is lit.)
>
> If it does strike, keep it running for a few days, don't power it off.
> It can get even harder to light, before it gets easier again. You might
> consider using a UPS for this procedure, as Murphy could strike just
> after the lamp does!

Fortunately Sydney power is good enough that my UPS' have caused more
outages than they've helped with.