[time-nuts] Re: Where do people get the time?

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Sun Jan 2 17:57:24 UTC 2022

jim at luxfamily.com said:
> So the  *sound* of the clap has to propagate to the sound recording equipment
> (some ten miliseconds away if the mic is on a fishpole or boom).

How far off does the audio have to be before it doesn't look/sound right?  How
accurately does the typical movie process get things aligned?

We are used to a delay of several to low 10s of ms.  Somewhere in the 20-100
ms range (depending on how good your eyes are) you can't see the speakers face
well enough to help decode what they are saying.

Are people sensitive to the sound being early?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.