[time-nuts] Re: Where do people get the time?

Wes wes at triconet.org
Sun Jan 2 21:30:19 UTC 2022

On 1/2/2022 1:17 PM, Lux, Jim wrote:
>  I watched a Titan IV launch from about 10km away. You saw the ignition, a
> 5-10 seconds later you felt the ground shaking, and the rocket was maybe
> 300-400 meters up and hitting the scattered clouds before the sound got to you
> 30 seconds later, and then you have the weird phenomenon of the rocket getting
> smaller and farther away, while the sound gets louder.

I did some work for the Standard Missile program when I was still at Hughes.  As
a perk I was invited to a test firing at White Sands, Because of a foul up, my
security clearance wasn't received so instead of being in the indoor VIP viewing
area I was relegated to some outdoor bleachers in the hinderlands where the
countdown was from some distant speakers. By the time I heard it, the missile
was long gone.

Wes