[time-nuts] Re: Where do people get the time?

Steve - Home steve-krull at cox.net
Sun Jan 2 22:27:10 UTC 2022

And in flight simulation, movement of the simulator’s hydraulic or electric-driven motion platform adds another aspect to the timing problem. When a pilot moves the control wheel or rudder pedals he expects to see a change in his instruments, a change in the view out the cockpit windows, usually a change in sounds, and a feel in the seat of his pants. We monitored all the drive signals and used a sensitive, three axis accelerometer to monitor physical movement. Everything was originally plotted on an 8 or 16 channel chart recorder. Now it’s all monitored digitally and the host computer gives you pass/fail lines on a screen and saved to a file for regulatory review. One of the biggest faults you could have was the motion platform moving out of sync. We had to clean up simulator cockpits more than once when we had test crews spew all over the place.

Steve
WB0DBS