[time-nuts] Re: Crystal oscillator for a begginer

Keelan Lightfoot keelanlightfoot at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 03:42:27 UTC 2022

For the curious, the source for this is here:

https://web.tapr.org/~n8ur/PIC_Code/

When I read that it uses a only a PIC, I was skeptical, but then when I read that jitter is in the range of 1 pico second, I was intrigued. It’s a neat solution, the 10 MHz input signal is used as the clock for the PIC, the code relies on a hand crafted carefully timed loop and the PIC’s fixed 400ns instruction cycle to create a very stable output. Crafty. It’s a bit like the Atari 2600 running in lock step with the horizontal blanking period.

Ahh, I see Tom Van Baak is responsible for this idea. Nice work!