[time-nuts] Re: PICDIV stability

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jan 8 13:38:32 UTC 2022

Hi

There are a lot of different 78x05 devices out there and various outfits
pay more or less attention to the tempco on various die shrinks / redesigns.
You can see a *wide* range of temperature performance ( > 10:1) between
different examples from vendor A vs vendor B.

With any linear regulator, self heating can degrade the “input side” rejection.
Since there are lots of ways to load a regulator, this just piles in on top of the
tempco stuff.

If the 74AC04 *is* the dominant source of error (and I’m not at all sure it is),
there are chips with significantly lower propagation delay. Has your 74AC04
been through a shrink that cuts it’s delay in half? Who knows …. Who’s
“king of the hill” this month? Buy a bunch of chips and test them.

It all gets really tangled …...

Bob