[time-nuts] Re: PICDIV stability (was: Crystal oscillator for a begginer)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sun Jan 9 03:30:05 UTC 2022

Hi Hal,

On 2022-01-07 21:40, Hal Murray wrote:
>> The two biggest outside influences on the PICDIV are supply voltage and temperature.
> Another interesting influence is the number of outputs that are switching and
> the load on them.  In particular, if you have several outputs running at
> different frequencies, the clock-out delay should be slightly longer when 2
> outputs switch when compared to when only one is switching.
>
> Has anybody measured that on a PIC? (or similar chip)
>
> I think one of tvb's picDEVs has several outputs.

I have measured it on the TADD-2. It's not so quiet as I could wish, but
there is good usage for the TADD-2s.

It's very clearly noise from other outputs.

So, one needs to check how quiet it has to be. Using a single-frequency
output setup can be expected to be much more quiet. For some counter
setups, the PICDIV is better than the counter anyway.

Cheers,
Magnus