[time-nuts] Re: Clock specs for audio (was: High precision OCXO supplier for end costomers)

Bernd Neubig BNeubig at t-online.de
Mon Jan 10 15:12:44 UTC 2022

We are receiving such inquiries from "Audio nuts" rather frequently, but
also from professional high-end audios-studio equipment makers. There
argument is often, that the spatial transparency of the sound, i.e. how
exactly you can locate the sound source (instrument in an orchestra) would
be noticeably improved by such ultra-low noise OCXO sources. So it should be
more about time or phase (jitter?) than about frequency....

As the customer and his belief is "king" at AXTAL - as long as doable and
payable - we have developed our AXIOM45ULN series, where the best phase
noise option guarantees a PN level of -115 dBc/Hz @ 1 Hz. But this kind of
performance can only be achieved by a crystal selection with rather low
yield. Therefore, as a manufacturer you need enough customers who accept
that "less is sufficient" and will buy the OCXO made from the other
crystals. We also are getting a few parts with -120 dBc/Hz @ 1 Hz out of a
larger lot, but we rather keep them than selling them to everybody.

Best regards
Bernd