[time-nuts] Re: High precision OCXO supplier for end costomers

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Mon Jan 10 15:18:10 UTC 2022

On 1/10/22 12:26 AM, Norman Reitz via time-nuts wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
> I am looking for suppliers of high-quality OCXO in 10 Mhz (sine / square) and 25 Mhz sine wave output. I can only find changes below my quality requirements for phase noise at Mouser or Digikey. E.g. a 10Mhz should be better than -120dbc @ 1Hz (-140dbc @ 10Hz) - a 25mHz better than -115 dbc at 10Hz.I want to use them in high quality audio application. Unfortunately, the minimum order quantities of the providers that I have found are not available for private customers - or you only sell with proof of use or a trade license. Since i dont want to start a business in space or defence-business, this is a problem for me. Do you have a tip or contact person who also does business with non-lucrative end customers? I am already aware that the quality of OCXO cannot be obtained for 100 bucks.
> best regards
> Norman
>
> ________________

I assume you've tried the usual suspects like Vectron (part of
Microchip, now), Bliley, Wenzel, Q-Tech, Abracon, MTI-Milliren.

You might check to make sure you're not edging close to the limits in
the US Munitions List (ITAR) - that will tend to make things harder -
even if it's not space qualified or for radar: (15) Space-qualified
oscillator for radar in paragraph (a) of this category with phase noise
less than −120 dBc/Hz + (20 log10(RF) (in GHz)) measured at 2 KHz* RF
(in GHz) from carrier;

Most of these places only sell through distribution, not through
Mouser/Digikey/Farnell kinds of paths. But small quantities should be no
problem (I've bought single or 3-5 oscillators at one time from most of
these mfrs, and gotten quotes from all of them). Delivery time will be
long (months, if not a year).