[time-nuts] Re: High precision OCXO supplier for end costomers

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Mon Jan 10 18:19:21 UTC 2022

On 1/10/22 9:56 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> An equally important part of this:
>
> What are you driving with this OCXO and what is it’s measured noise floor
> at 1 Hz (or 10 Hz or what ever ….). In some cases a “crazy” OCXO is actually
> quieter than the device it is driving. That means that the last 5 or 10 db in phase
> noise improvement really has zero impact on the system performance. I’ve run
> into this a *lot* of times over the years.
>
> Bob

This comes up a lot with ADCs.. Wideband driver amplifiers on the clock
inputs may put more noise on the digitized signal.

An-756 from Analog Devices

Sampled Systems and the Effects of Clock Phase Noise and Jitter

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN-756.pdf

and
Clocking the RF ADC: Should you worry  about jitter or phase noise?

https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt705/slyt705.pdf