[time-nuts] Re: High precision OCXO supplier for end costomers

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Jan 10 19:05:17 UTC 2022

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 19:19:09 +0100
Stefan Heinzmann <stefan_heinzmann at gmx.de> wrote:

> Yet you mention phase noise specs very close to the carrier (so close
> that any artifacts are bound to mix into the subsonic range!),

A word of caution here: Human hearing is very very sensitive to some
things. One of those is two-tone discrimination. We can tell two
simultaneous tones appart quite easily, even if they are very close,
given they are at about the same loudness. 10Hz difference is nothing
and everyone can do that, even without training. Only once you get to
around 1Hz difference, will you need to get a musician or someone with
an equally trained ear. And it isn't the limit yet of what we found that
people, with training, can hear.

The reason why I am sceptical of the phase noise specs is because
artifacts would end up at much lower amplitudes. Which means the
signal that causes the artifact would be so much louder than the
artifact, that it would mask the artifact.

				Attila Kinali
--
In science if you know what you are doing you should not be doing it.
In engineering if you do not know what you are doing you should not be doing it.