[time-nuts] Re: Vectron 380 teardown

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Jan 14 20:20:03 UTC 2022

On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:44:22 +0000
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> 	https://twitter.com/EvilMnkyzDsignz/status/1482039903995273216

Now that's an interesting design.
My first thought was, "hell, using /two/ ceramic carriers
for PCBs and using gold wires to connect them to eachother,
that must have been a hell of an expensive DIL-14 oscillator".

Then I looked at the Datasheet [1] (ok appnote) and guess what,
that's no mere oscillator. That's a bona-fide OCXO. Vacuum packaged,
nonetheless! Sure, it doesn't have the best stability compared to
other OCXO, but compared to other DIL-14 sized OCXO, it's actually
quite good. And it's only the size of a regular XO too!
And this also explains the need for ceramic: an FR4 PCB would$
have too much outgasing that would then lead to drift.

Lovely device!

(Still think it's probably quite expensive)

			Attila Kinali

[1] https://www.vectron.com/products/ocxo/EMXO-380-385.pdf
--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always