[time-nuts] Re Another reason to monitor line frequency

dschuecker Detlef.Schuecker at dschuecker.de
Wed Jan 19 18:41:24 UTC 2022

Hi,

here in Germany police is recording line frequency since 2010, just as I
do :).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_network_frequency_analysis

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netzfrequenz_als_Grundlage_f%C3%BCr_forensische_Analysen

Don't know if they brought someone to jail with this.

With newer audio equipment you should get lower hum levels. I do not
think that you find any harmonics of 50Hz or 60Hz for, say the audio
track of a youtube video, I never tried, though. For my audio tape
recorder of the 1970s you will surely get a hum signature.

Maybe there is also a chance to find the hum in the brightness of the
video signal.

There are other strange aspects on grid frequency: for the first 15min
of some hours of the day grid frequency is systematic high or low. This
has to do with the spot market trade period of 15 min and a systematic
over/underestimate of the demand/production. A too high demand brings
grid frequency down and vice versa.

Cheers

Detlef