[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jan 19 22:18:04 UTC 2022

Hi

Stacking switchers is generally not a good idea. Even stacking them with
non-switchers is not a recommended way to go. Can it be done? Sure, if
you know a lot about exactly what’s inside the switcher ….

Best approach:

Convert all the this and that to some voltage > 20 V and then do the “voting”
from there. Diodes are one way, there are others. Let each supply do it’s thing
with a nice normal ground on the low side of the supply.

Also keep in mind that the 3801 supply is far from perfect. They have a tendency
to blow input fuses for no apparent reason.

Bob