[time-nuts] Re: Another reason to monitor line frequency :) - My AC measurement project & question

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sun Jan 23 02:01:27 UTC 2022

On 1/22/22 3:30 PM, ed breya wrote:
> I'd vote for going with a transformer too, but not just any old
> transformer - I'll explain later.
>
> You can indeed connect directly to line with an AC divider, and
> measure the signal. In fact, you can even build a very broad band
> probing system that can go all the way down to DC, and up to RF, by
> making something equivalent to a high (1 meg) impedance oscilloscope
> front end. There are complications though. Measurement-wise, what
> would be needed is actually a differential system, looking between the
> neutral and line, so two identical attenuators are required to get and
> preserve the signals for subtraction and processing. It is difficult
> to get the balance and symmetry needed for good CMRR at higher
> frequencies, so line frequency and plenty of its harmonics can be
> handled OK, for good waveform fidelity well into audio, but the higher
> frequency differential and common-mode junk will blow right through.
> You would need all sorts of filtering and clamping to control the
> signal quality and protect the instrumentation. The input resistance
> should be kept high, like 1 meg, to be safer against faults, and to
> prevent tripping GFCIs (RCDs). For instance, if you're looking at 120
> VAC on a 1 meg front, the hot side input current will be around 120 uA
> RMS, adding only a small amount to the earth ground loops, compared to
> a typical 5 mA GFCI trip point.
>
> The big problem with this, as you can see from the comments, is doing
> it safely, with properly rated parts, fault protection, and circuit
> layout and construction (especially clearance and creepage distances).
> Anyway, it can be done, but tends to be a PITA to do it right.
>
> An obvious question is how much fidelity is needed. No matter how good
> your measuring system is, the results are only valid at the point you
> sample, and only somewhat representative of what you'd see at another
> spot - even in your own home. The incoming mains at your load center
> may be pretty solid, but every branch circuit will look a little
> different, depending on the loads and distance and so on. When
> appliances turn on and off, things will change throughout the system,
> and there will always be transients, and ubiquitous HF and RF
> interference from all the electronic gear in the system. If you look
> at it with high bandwidth, it can appear pretty disgusting, but it
> works for the main purpose of distributing plenty of power.
>
> So, in order to remain blissfully ignorant of how ugly it may be, and
> to rig up something simple, safe, and easy, a transformer is the way
> to go. Regardless of the chosen one, some basic protections are
> usually desired, like first a small fuse or PTC on the hot side,  to
> protect the transformer in case you accidentally short the secondary -
> a high probability event when designing and experimenting. If the
> setup is experimental, and gets connected or changed around a lot, or
> you're fooling around on the primary side, it's a good idea to fuse
> [...]

With voltage dividers, one has capacitor coupling on both of the two
wires, so if you're going into a Arduino or something, it either has
differential inputs (e.g. Teensy 3.1 or newer), or you tie circuit
ground to one of the wires.

However, as you say, you could buy an AC wallwart intended for 220V
service, and use it on 110V. (leaving half the world to buy *two* and
run them in series)

Or, I suspect, one could pick and choose a AC wallwart that has "OK"
band pass characteristics.

The advantage of the wallwart (vs, say, a doorbell transformer) is that
it is already (theoretically) safe to plug into the wall. And if it
disappears in a puff of smoke, you can probably buy another identical
one easily.

It is surprisingly difficult to search for 220V input 12 VAC output
adapters, BTW..  You'll get a lot of DC output adapters.  I guess 120V
land would have to get two adapters and run them in series.