[time-nuts] Re: Is this the right way to compare the short term accuracy of two frequency counters?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Jan 24 16:26:28 UTC 2022

Erik,

See some plots of testing a 53132A counter in time interval mode:

http://leapsecond.com/pages/53132/

Yes, using stdev (rms) is ok. You can also use ADEV and expect to see a
line with slope of -1; the noise of the counter is the value at tau 0
[*]. You can also use TDEV and it should be a relatively flat line; this
also reflects the noise floor of the counter. If your stdev varies a lot
depending on sample size, or if your ADEV plot isn't a very straight
line with slope exactly -1, there's a problem.

To determine the noise floor of a counter it's best to use different
sources, independent in frequency and also independent in phase. That
rules out dividers or multipliers. The phase needs to "sweep" across a
wide range. What you want to avoid are "sweet spots" where there is some
constant relationship between the counter's internal reference and the
external input(s) that are being measured. A sweep will help identify
any subtle frequency or phase pulling effects. You can see this
dramatically in the 53132A plots.

So in frequency mode make sure it's two different oscillators. In time
interval mode make sure it's 3 independent sources; all drifting in
phase wrt to each other. You're welcome to use only one source too but
that will likely give an overly optimistic report of counter resolution.

An analogy is if you built a 5 digit 20 volt DIY voltmeter and only
tested it at 0.0000 volts, or maybe only at 12.345 volts. Sure, you can
take hundreds of readings and computer the stdev. But a better way is to
generate a precise triangle wave from 0 to 20 volts in steps of 20 uV
and then look at the readings to see how accurate they are across the
entire range.

Most frequency counters have artifacts that cause some level of
non-linearity depending on where the input(s) land wrt to the reference.
It could be minor, but it's something that contributes to the accuracy
and noise floor, especially with interpolating or "enhanced resolution"
counter. It's ok. You just want to know how good or bad it is. It can
even be a diagnostic to find PCB layout or f/w bugs.

The 10 MHz effect that Bob mentions is:

http://leapsecond.com/pages/53132/53132-reduced-resolution.gif

/tvb