[time-nuts] Re: Time Signal Transmitter (low power)

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Jan 25 21:35:21 UTC 2022

Hi Anthony:

For efficient transmission of radio signals the antenna should be at least 1/4 wavelength in size.  At 60 kHz a
wavelength is 5,000 meters so a 1/4 wave is 1250 meters (4100 feet).  If the antenna is smaller than 1/4 wavelength the
efficiency goes down.  So if you were to wrap a room/house with a coil of wire and with an impedance match drive it with
a 60 kHz signal the signal would fall off very quickly.

There's a license free band in the US between 160 and 170 kHz (1750 meters) where you are limited to a 50 foot antenna
and one Watt input to the transmitter.  It's quite a challenge to be heard a hundred miles away.  Instead of the 37 Ohms
antenna impedance of a 1/4 wave vertical you have an antenna resistance that's a thousand times smaller.  That means the
effective radiated power is in the milliwatts.

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE
https://www.PRC68.com
axioms:
1. The extent to which you can fix or improve something will be limited by how well you understand how it works.
2. Everybody, with no exceptions, holds false beliefs.