[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

ed breya eb at telight.com
Sat Jan 29 02:50:10 UTC 2022

I've been doing some more cold start testing, and thought I'd share this
info, for any Z3801A owners who may be curious about the behavior. Some
aspects are probably well known since long ago. I've seen it all since
first starting work on this some 10-12 years ago, so I know
approximately what it does. Now I have been able to make some more
convenient observations.

The setup is simply measuring the external DC input current and voltage
while the process goes, to estimate the input power needed, roughly how
much, and when. Only the input P is noted. The total gets used up in
running the Z3801A, the other circuits, and conversion losses. Almost
all the changes in power are due to the Z3801A going through its cold
startup process. Here's a summary from a run I did this afternoon.

T=0, start, 33 W

The running supplies for everything, and the internal oven of the OCXO
are turned on first. When the oven is approaching being warmed up
enough, the P gradually drops to about 25 W, at about T+7 min.

It then rather suddenly jumps to somewhere around 50 W as the outer oven
is turned on, then fairly quickly down to 45 W, then gradually declines.
The GPS lock indicator came on at about T+10 min, not coincident with
any particular oven condition.

The power continues to drop off very gradually (there's a lot of mass to
heat up), until reaching nearly steady state around T+50 min, at about 25 W.

So, figure it takes about ten minutes to achieve lock (this particular
setup), but about an hour for everything to fully warm up.

Ed