[time-nuts] Re: electronics question or how not to fry my raspberry pi

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 14:47:56 UTC 2022

 You can run the PicDiv on 3.3 V and connect the 5V signal to the PicDiv input via a series resistor between 1k and 10k. Put the resistor at the PicDiv end of the connection.
The PIC has protection diodes on it's input These clamp the input to the supply. The series resisor limits the current. This is robust. There are thousands of devices out there with a pin conneted to the mains with just a series resistor. t's used for zerocrossing detection or monitoring the mains frequency.
Robert G8RPI.