[time-nuts] Re: Timestamping counter techniques : phase computation question

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jan 31 21:25:52 UTC 2022

Hi

What you run into on a lot of setups are dead bands. You get a series
of (effectively) same / same /same /same sample groups. Applying math
to them gives you the (obvious) result … everything is perfect.

If you have (say) a 200 MHz clock, your data will be “chunked” into 5 ns
spaced buckets of some sort. At 1 second you will have 1/2x10^8 sort of
resolution. ( or 1/2x10^7 at 0.1 sec).  Playing with math to try to do better
than this underlying structure is likely to get you in trouble. ( = the math
is fibbing, the results are limited by the physical setup).

Indeed with some setups, your 200 MHz clock does not do equal sized
buckets (for various reasons) and the resolution will be a bit less. You very
much need to dig into the structure of the device you are using to see how
it does this or that. You might find that the 5 ns internal clock effectively
is limited down to 20 ns for external events ….

So: Is this sort of resolution good enough for your application? If not, there
are well known techniques to improve on it. They are not crazy hard to do.
Yes, you are heading off into the world of analog this or that to implement
them.

Bob